Saturday, May 18, 2013

Preppy

In high school, I used to adamantly deny that I was preppy when people used to call me that.

I still agree that I was definitely NOT preppy in high school.

However, I do consider myself preppy now. I'm sure some of my old high school friends would get a kick out of that. Especially considering how many times I stomped my foot and declared "I'm NOT!"

Yes, I have always been the kind of girl that does not walk out the front door looking anything less than fabulous (except for a short little identity crisis that started at the end of elementary school and lasted until 7th grade-ish, when I insisted that I was a total tomboy, but that's irrelevant at the moment). Heels, make up, hair done, cute clothes. Always, always, always necessary. I do my make up to go to work, even if the only thing I'm doing that day is working.

This was true throughout high school, however, I don't consider my high school style necessarily 'preppy'. I was still trying to figure myself out and wore anything and everything that I thought looked good on me. I still wear pretty much anything, I'm not the type of girl to stick strictly to fads or genres. If it's cute, I look good in it, and the weather is appropriate, I will wear it.

However, my style has slowly been evolving into a more and more preppy style. I've become slightly obsessed (haha) with largely preppy brands like Kate Spade and others.

Here's a few of the items I've been ogling from the new arrivals lately.

Some from Lilly Pulitzer:
Price: $298

I love this Roswell Dress! I usually hate stripes, but this one is cute enough for me to overlook that. Plus the bow in the middle is gorgeous, and it's not a Lilly without a cute print! It makes the skirt look so shiny! Plus, it has pockets!

Price: $188

Here's the Janice Dress, and I'm in love. The print is lovely and I absolutely adore the faint green detail on the neckline. They have a blue one too, but for once, I pick pink over blue! Plus I think the model's pose is so cute!

Price: $228

So cute! You can't really tell from this picture, but the skirt is pleated! Adorable! And the neckline is adjustable, so the dress can be strapless, one shoulder, or scoopneck! And the little belt is so adorable. I want the shoes the model is wearing too!

Price: $98

Throw some leggings under this tunic, add a pair of cute heels, and voila, we are ready to go. Classy, stylish, and sexy. I love it. Lilly is advertising it as a tunic to wear over bathing suits, but I'm loving my idea so much more!

Now here's a disclaimer. I don't pin or save lots of J. Crew items simply because I don't like how they dress their models on the website. Their clothes are really cute, but they have a tendency to match an item up with others that don't go well together, or overshadow the item they're trying to sell. Also, I don't like the 'messy' look they put on their models. It drives me crazy. Anyways, here we go.

Some from J. Crew:

Price: $295

This Frances Dress is just too cute. The floral print is beautiful and it's a lovely summer look. (See what I mean about messy? Look at the model's hair. Ugh)

Price: $228

I absolutely love this dress. It's so polished and simple, and I love the little origami effect on the collar. So cute!

Price: $198

However, I am having a hard time picking a favorite between these two origami dresses. I really like the wrap look on the neckline on this one. Plus, those shoes! Too cute (Ignoring the hair again)

Price: $68

I love love love the print on this T-shirt Dress! It looks so Lilly! Plus the dress looks so relaxed and comfortable while still being cute. I like!

Original Price: $39.50
Sale Price: $29.50

Look at this gem! I am SO tempted to buy it right now! Especially since it's not a crazy out of my league price. It's a portable battery for my iPhone! And it's cheetah print! I'm dying! I want it! They also have a plain baby blue one, and a navy blue one with white cords going across. SO CUTE!

Now this next one is newly discovered by me. Vineyard Vines. It is SO stinking cute, I love it. I can't believe I've gone all my life without ogling these outfits!!! It was incredibly hard for me to pick just 4 items to share (My solution was to do just dresses, and since I'm only doing new arrivals on this post, it narrowed down my options), so here we go.

Some from Vineyard Vines:

Price: $178

I mentioned earlier how I hate stripes, but obviously I keep contradicting myself. Allow me to rephrase: I hate stripes that make me look fat or awkward, which are usually horizontal and vertical stripes, respectively. On the other hand, inward facing diagonal stripes that create a beautiful slimming effect like on this dress, are perfectly wonderful. This dress is beautiful!

Price: $178

For once, I've picked the 'alternate color/print' button on a dress! The original is a navy with tiny white polka dots and a navy and white striped sash. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but this one is just gorgeous! The polka dots are so subtle and cute, and the sash colors bring an otherwise plain dress to life. I'm loving it!

Price: $198

Probably my favorite of all the Vineyard dresses. I love the patchwork look! I never in my life would have thought that I would like a patchwork print, but this works! It is so cute! And the pink sash does a wonderful job of bringing the dress together! Not to mention that it wraps quite nicely into a big bow in the back. A beautiful big bow, I might add. This dress is stunning! I'm in love!

Price: $165

Excuse me as I squeal. I love the ric rac design on this dress! Once again, a beautifully polished white dress, brought together by a super cute design. There was also the option for the dress to be navy with a peach-ish pink design. I actually did not like the other version at all. The pink was out of place in my opinion. Oh, did I mention that this dress also has pockets?? Love!

I could keep going on and on with the outfits I love from these classified preppy stores, but this post has gone on long enough. Maybe I'll follow up with a Part Two with clothes from stores like Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, and (of course!) Kate Spade.


No comments:

Post a Comment