Friday, June 14, 2013

Tornado Warning

Yesterday was only kind of insane.

And by kind of insane, I mean absolutely out of this world crazy.

And I was at work when the apocalypse started. Talk about luck.

One minute the sky was bright and blue and beautiful. I stepped into the back to grab I don't know what, and when I come back up front, the end of the world had started. Winds at 70 miles an hour had the trees outside leaning horizontally and there was so much rain that I could barely see past an arm's length outside. Plus, the sky went from bright blue to pitch black.



Our dining room became packed. People piled on in complaining about not being able to keep their cars going in a straight line because of the wind. They walked in soaked from head to toe, looking like they had just left the pool, just from the short walk from their cars to the door. It was crazy.

We closed down the drive thru because the rain was pouring in straight through the window and our speaker box wasn't working. So of course, on the one day I wasn't working drive thru, the drive thru people get to go chill in the back. The other girl on front counter was closing that night, so she decided to get ahead in her cleaning projects for the day. I was holding down the fort by myself. And I was supposed to get off at 8. My life.

It wasn't just us either. Last night it was showing that 162,000 people in Georgia have no power, but 240,000 were powerless in Virginia and 91,000 in North Carolina. An article published at noon today is attributing the cause of death of at least four people to be due to the thunderstorms and tornadoes yesterday. Regardless, I'm thankful that we were luckier than those in Oklahoma, and my prayers go out not only to those affected by these most recent storms on the east coast, but all the people affected by storms this year, especially in Oklahoma.

I spent pretty much the entirety of the tornado running up and down grabbing people who didn't want to order water and little kids balloons to make them stop crying. I also made at least 50 ice creams and shakes. Plus the lights went out and the registers and machines were working on the generators. It was crazy. Finally the rain started dying down and the sky turned red. Not the kind of pretty reddish yellow color it is when the sun is setting/rising, but the kind of orange red color that movies show the atmospheres of other planets to be like. It was really eerie, especially at 9 at night.

The drive home was pretty scary. There were fallen leaves and branches all over the place, even on the highway. And none of the stoplights by my job or by the dorms were working. I almost went to Luis's house, but didn't want to make the almost 30 mile drive in that weather. On campus the bikes at the bike racks were all over the place, and there were even a few poles knocked down. The worst part of it all was that the lights had gone out and all entries into the dorms are card operated. Without electricity, the cards didn't work.

I had to circle the building looking for a door that was open, and eventually someone inside let me in. I eventually made it inside my room, which was pitch black. I was not a happy camper. My laptop was already dead from me spending the morning using it and my phone was already at 30%. I decided to just lie down in bed and read my Kindle until I fell asleep, and I planned with Luis to meet him at Ihop the next morning at 9.

There were still no lights at Kennesaw this morning, and apparently the whole KSU server is down so people taking summer classes can't log in to the online database and I couldn't pay my rent. Talk about tough luck.

Hopefully when I get home tonight the lights will be back on, because I have to be at work at 8 tomorrow morning and I'm going to need to charge my phone to wake up in time for that after closing tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment