Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bookworm

I'm a total bookworm, and I'm proud of it!

I absolutely love books. They're my best friends.

Reading to me is just like being there, living the characters' lives and going through every emotion side by side with the characters. I probably get too emotionally attached to most of my characters.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to read for pleasure as much these past couple of years because I've become increasingly busier and having less and less time to spend on leisure (Especially with all the Facebook-ing, Tweeting, and Pinterest-ing I do). But now that I have a Kindle, I have the perfect excuse to read anywhere and everywhere. No big books to lug around. No need to go to a bookstore or library for a book. No bookmarks to lose my place with. Just a tiny, skinny, little Kindle that fits so nicely in my purse that I can whip out and read at any old time. It's really convenient.

So in the less than three weeks that I've had my Kindle, I've devoured books like crazy, and that's just in my free time between working, spending time with Luis and my friends, going to parties, and travelling to Florida. So here are the 4 books I've read:


Crazy Little Thing by Tracy Brogan was the first book I read, and that was through Kindle's Lending Library. It was actually a really, really good book! I enjoyed it. It's about this lady, Sadie, who has just gotten a divorce from her cheating husband. She takes her kids to go spend the summer with her eccentric aunt Dodie and her cousins. Of course, her ex-husband causes trouble and there are lovely men for her to meet and fall in love with and everyone lives happily ever after in the end. It's an extremely good novel and I was totally hooked.


Then I bought The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri for my day at the beach. I almost finished it at the beach, but didn't finish until later on during the bus ride home. I know it's a popular book that lots of people have read, but I've only watched the movie before. I did study Jhumpa Lahiri in school this past fall semester, and loved the short stories we read by her, and I didn't remember the movie that well, so I went ahead and bought the book. It was totally worth it, and I really enjoyed it. So so so good! I usually hate books without happy endings, and this one definitely falls into my idea of a no happy ending novel. I actually don't like the ending at all to be honest, because he still ends up wife-less, but the book is very realistic and that's kudos to the author right there. I definitely recommend it if you haven't yet, even if you've watched the movie!


No and Me by Delphine de Vigan was probably my least favorite of the four. Here's another no happy ending book, but not only did it not have a happy ending, but the ending left too many questions unanswered for my taste. This novel is about a young, but very precocious girl who befriends an older girl who lives on the streets. Lou, the 13 year old girl in high school, tries her best to help No, her 18 year old homeless best friend, rehabilitate and be a normal girl again. It's quite the interesting story, and it was still pretty good even though I hated the ending with a passion.


Then there's The Unwanted Wife by Natasha Anders. I just finished this one last night, and it was so good that I tried reading some while hanging out with Luis. I read in the car while he was driving places and even woke up early so I could read before he woke up. I finally finished it after work last night. After close, I sat in my car for a good 15 minutes to end it. It was so good! The ending was completely unrealistic in my point of view, but it's nice to imagine that such beautiful happily ever afters can exist. I truly loved this story.

I also have this month's Lending Library book waiting to be read, so I can't wait to start that one soon!

Any recommendations for good books I should read??



No comments:

Post a Comment